I didn’t have as much time to work on my sew bossy challenge as I would have liked this past weekend. I had some serious over grown grass in my huge backyard, and actually had to buy a new mower. Of all the things I’ve ever wanted to spend a couple hundred dollars on, somehow new lawnmower never made the list.
It had to be done, as you can see from the crazy knee high grass. You can only put yard work off so long before you start looking like a crazy hermit. I can already imagine the stories the neighborhood kids were starting.
All that aside though, I did actually get some work on the dress done.
I did a tissue fitting on the dress form, which is the same size as me, given a few half inches here and there. It seemed like everything would fit well enough, so I decided to forego a muslin, Well that and I was out of any muslin fabric, and was already a bit in the whole money wise after dropping way too much moolah on a dumb lawn mower. I started constructing the bodice.
This is as far as I got Sunday before Game of Thrones Came on. (Yes, I am a really rabid fan girl.) It’s not exactly hard to put together, just a bit time consuming. A good deal of basting and hand stitching. Overall though I’m pretty pleased with how it’s shaping up. This is my first ever lapel type sewing, and it’s easier than I thought. The vintage instructions definitely leave something to be desired. Almost half the instructions are given on the pattern pieces themselves, which seams a bit strange to me. I keep having to pull out the original tissue and reference them. Once I sewed the inset belt though, the top wrap section seemed to reach a bit less far to the side than before. I might have to make a slip to go with this as well. I’m a bit worried about button holes, as I don’t have the best track record with them. I just need to remember to take my time, I’m sure I’ll be fine.